Dmanisi Paleoanthropology Field School students will all be placed in the camp house/or rented village house close to the site and every day the camp car will drive you to the site itself. Mornings and evenings in Dmanisi can be chilly, although the afternoons can get really warm.
stuff you should bring:
- sandals (or slippers) and sneakers (walking boots), would be both needed.
- short and long trousers.
- T-shirs and a warm jacket.
- basing suite, as there is a river nearby.
- your own hygienic stuff (towels, creams, shampoo and shower-gel), hand soaps are not necessary nor the bed linings, if the luggage is too heavy, you can always buy those stuff here, in Georgia.
- anti-mosquito can be helpful as Dmanisi is sometimes full of those nasty mosquitoes, but not the ones that spread Malaria, we do not have records of Malaria in the last century that I am aware of, although some websites say there might be risks of Malaria during the period of July/October.
- the hats (cap) can be helpful as well, but for you to know the main excavating area is protected from sun and rain.
The food is Georgian, nothing very specific cooked by "Dmanisi-famous" charming cook Luba.In case someone is vegetarian,
we do take it into account.
Toilets and the showers are outside the house. The water is warm for shower. There is a washing machine you can use to wash your clothes.
Internet is available, but not WIFI, so you will have to share..... frankly, it is not the fastest internet, but enough to communicate with families, write e-mails and do basic internet surfing.
There are no compulsory vaccinations required for coming to Georgia, but we always recommend that you have anti-tetanus injections as we are working "with" soil and the risk of damaging the skin is always there.
One should stay away from stray animals in Tbilisi (the capital); the villages are usually safer, but do not contact "unknown" animals to avoid risks of Rabies.
The EU, USA, SWISS, UK citizens do not need Visitors Visa
to enter Georgia, but passports and IDs are required, see here: Visa Information for Foreign Citizens
. Also foreign nationals who have a multiple entry US, EU or Schengen member states visas, which have validity for one year or more and had been used once at least, can enter or stay on the territory of Georgia without visa up to 90 days, within the validity term of the visa.
The best dates to arrive in Tbilisi are: 1 day before the field school starts and depart one day after it ends. We will pick you up at the airport and also drive you back.
Tbilisi-Dmanisi & Dmanisi-Tbilisi trip is also organized by the Field School team.
Welcome to Dmanisi and enjoy the experience at the world's one of the most important paleoanthropological and archaeological site!